Whether you need a mid afternoon snack, a post-workout refuel option or a quick breakfast, everybody has room in their pantry for protein bars. Healthy, filled with good fats, protein and a big energy boost, these bars are a go to when you need a little bit of an energy re-boot. For me sometimes that’s in the afternoon, to get me through a little tired slump, or maybe post workout when I’ve just killed the trails for 12 kilometers. I say killed, because despite the continuous ice and snow battle I fight every day with them, I like to think I’m still winning. Maybe it’s debatable. I’ll have a protein bar in reward nonetheless.
I’ve talked about this before, but the truth is, there are protein bars or energy balls hanging out around here all the time. It’s the perfect treat to have around that is ok to eat when I have a bit of an inkling for something sweet, when I need a little after-dinner treat, or when I’m in an “I WANT TO EAT ALL THE THINGS” state of mind. Because despite the fact that we eat really healthy and always have lots of fruit and veg happening, sometimes I still want to eat all the things. You too right? Regardless, these are totally acceptable for those days. And in fact, sometimes I’ll whip up a batch to make sure we have them for that exact reason. Otherwise, nut-butter and spoon ensue and that never ends well.
Do yourself a favour and make a batch of these to have on hand at home. They’ll be ready no matter what strikes and are sure to leave you full and satisfied. Better than a jar of almond butter even. Okay, sometimes, I still eat almond butter by the spoonful. Or on top of the bars.
These bars taste delicious and are packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats. Whip them up today for a great post-workout snack!
Ingredients (10 Bars)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 scoop Vega One vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 1/2 cup dates
- 1 tsp hemp oil
- 3 tsp coconut cream
- In the bowl of a food processor, add buckwheat groats, almonds, coconut, flax and hemp hearts. Process until a powder forms.
- Add protein powder and pulse until combined.
- Next, add dates, hemp oil and coconut cream to the processor and process until a dough forms. Add an extra teaspoon of coconut cream if it needs a little help forming into a dough.
- Remove from food processor and press into a square pan.
- Refrigerate until firm and then slice into rectangles.
What’s your snack to have on hand for when you just want to eat all the things?
*I’ll be hanging out on Thursday over at a link-up at Running With Spoons if you want to have a look and find some fun links to explore!