For the longest time, I used to make just one kind of energy bite. A chocolate coconut version that was super simple and super quick to whip up – in other words I could make it at the moment we decided we needed a little after dinner dessert and have it ready 10 minutes later. I experimented around with few different flavours, but honestly, none of them ended up as awesome as the simple chocolate one and so we slowly drifted towards just making that one. Why settle for less than awesome? And then peanut butter flour happened. Now that stuff is awesome.
These energy bites are peanut butter, without containing any peanut butter. Yesterday’s chocolate maca peanut butter smoothie bowl was chocolate and peanut butter without containing any chocolate or peanut butter. I think I’m just late to the game and a lot of you probably already know about this, but you guys, this stuff is life changing! Well at least recipe changing. You can now have peanut butter anything without having to add peanut butter! Good for if you want a lower calorie version of something or good for if you’re guilty of making peanut butter (with the full intention of using it in recipes, smoothie bowls, oatmeal etc.) and then just consuming the whole jar by the spoonful in two days instead. Not that we ever do that or anything. I think we should stick to peanut butter flour. Head over to your local health food store and get yourself set up with some of this stuff. You may have heard of it as PB2, or you can buy it in the bag. Regardless, for your sake, it needs to happen. And then you can be like me and make more than one kind of energy bites . . .
The irresistible combination of chocolate and peanut butter in these bites makes them perfect for a snack, a post workout refuel option or a quick and easy pre-run treat. Whip them up today and have them on hand for whatever you need!
Ingredients (10 Bites)
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp PB2, or peanut butter flour
- 1 tbsp Vega chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp water
- Place all the ingredients except water in a food processor and process until a crumbly mixture forms and there are no large pieces of dates left.
- With food processor still running, add water 1 tsp at a time until the mixture comes together in a large clump.
- Remove from the food processor and roll into balls or flatten into a pan and cut into slices.
- Place in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 hours to harden and then enjoy. Store the bites/slice in the fridge.
- Cherry Tahini Energy Bites
- Raw Hemp Seed Maca Balls
- Lemon Vanilla Protein Bites
- Coconut chocolate Energy Balls
And head over to Running With Spoons tomorrow for a link up featuring more great recipes!
What are some of your favourite flavours of energy bites?
*Some of the links above are affiliate links. If you click on them, I may get a small commission based on your purchases. Please note that I only affiliate with brands or products I like and use myself and that I feel may be useful or helpful to you.