By the time you read this, I’ll be running, standing on the line, or maybe even crossing the finish line of the Bluenose half marathon here in Halifax. It is actually one of the first half marathons I ran, nearly ten years ago, and now I’m coming back and am super excited to do it again. No big time goals, no crazy finish plans, just running. My favourite.
But let’s be serious, what I’ll really be running for is the smoothie bowl that I get to have at the end. Lately, I’ve been so obsessed with smoothie bowls. More like banana soft serve ice cream most times, really thick and smooth and full on flavour. But you can cater yours to however you like them! If you want them to be a bit runnier, add some almond milk or coconut milk, change up the toppings, and if you don’t have maca, bee pollen or any superfood at all, then just leave them out. This recipe, and all its health packed goodness I designed specifically for post-race refuel, adding protein powder, hemp hearts and bananas, lots of blueberries and raspberries, and the added benefit of greens. The protein and hemp hearts help rebuild sore muscles, while the banana gives a high carb refuel and lots of potassium and the cacao and blueberries pack a big load of antioxidants. It’s the perfect combination of chocolate and fruit, sweet from the bananas and so satisfying.
Whether you are running this weekend or not, you don’t need any reason to make this smoothie bowl other than the desire to have a healthy, satisfying, melt in your mouth delicious breakfast. You know I’ll be all over it. Just have to finish the race. Enjoy!
Packed with protein, greens and lots of healthy fruits, these bowls are an ideal refuel for post-workout, or a healthy breakfast for a great start to the day!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup raspberries, frozen
- 1/4 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp greens powder
- 1/4 tsp maca
- 1/4 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until mixture is smooth and reaches an ice cream like consistency.
- If you prefer your smoothie bowls less thick, feel free to add coconut milk or almond milk to reach your desired consistency.
- Remove from the processor, spoon into bowls and top with hemp hearts, sliced banana, sliced strawberries and chia seeds – or other toppings of your choice.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Want more smoothies and smoothie bowls? Check out these ones as well:
Happy Sunday and enjoy the rest of your weekend!