I think everyone has their own favourite blueberry muffin that is their go to time and time again. Whether it is your favourite one from a little coffee shop, an indulgent, giant one from a bakery, or your own recipe that you make whenever you’re in the mood, blueberry muffins are synonymous with comfort and joy, smiles and a big cup of coffee, curled up on the sofa. Everyone loves blueberry muffins.
I’m pretty much the same. For the longest time, I had this blueberry bran muffin that I used to make nearly every week. They puffed up big in the oven, were loaded with blueberries and fiber and never let me down. Somewhere though, amidst, moving out of home and university, and travelling and living in Australia, those muffins fell off the radar. And the honest truth is, I haven’t made blueberry muffins in months.
And I’ve also never experimented much with gluten free mufffins. I don’t follow a gluten free diet, but I often make things gluten free, mostly just to play around with different flours. This past week, I entered quinoa flour into the flour repertoire. Such a win. Last night’s gluten free pizza dough was altered to a quinoa flour version, which I dare say may have been better than the original, and in the next couple of weeks, you can be sure you’ll be seeing a chocolatey quinoa flour delight showing up on the blog . . . For now though, I’ll share these delicious, comforting muffins, that are perfect for your Sunday morning breakfast or to make to have on hand as a healthy snack all week long. Studded with blueberries, lots of fiber and loaded with protein from the quinoa flour, these muffins are delicious and pack a full nutritional punch. Get your blueberries ready, because your new favourite muffin recipe is on its way!
Comforting, home-baked muffins, loaded with blueberries and made with the healthiest of ingredients so you can enjoy them guilt free any time you want!
Ingredients (6 muffins)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, add quinoa flour, oat flour, brown rice flower, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mass up banana until no chunks remain (or puree in the blender if you prefer). Add honey and melted coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture, pour in almond milk and stir just until everything is incorporated. It is important not to overmix the dough.
- When everything is mixed in, add the blueberries (fresh or frozen) and fold in gently.
- Spoon into paper lined muffin cups, filling to the top and then bake in preheated 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack and enjoy, or store leftovers in an airtight container.
Happy Sunday! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and don’t forget to enter the giveaway still going on until the end of the week!