If you knew how many energy bars/bites I made, you would know that for me to say these are the best ones I have ever made is quite a bold statement. There are some form of energy bars or bites in our house pretty much permanently. They’re my go to solution for everything from those nights I want a bit of a sweet treat after dinner, to an on the go breakfast or snack, to a great pre-workout fuel option.
And for the longest time, I’ve been making mostly the same chocolate coconut kind, with a few variations every other week or so. I just hit the sweet spot with them, where they were easy to make and I always had the ingredients on hand, and they were tasty and satisfying every time. But then, these ones happened. Well really, cardamom happened. My awesome boy brought me home cardamom the other night, and it’s not anything new to me, just an ingredient I haven’t had in the house in a while. I’m pretty sure last week, I made something every day with cardamom. From these bars to a curry, to the millet cereal and the apple galette.
But it’s a good thing, because come to find out, cardamom is actually incredibly good for you. It helps in inflammation and in detoxing the body, aids in digestion and is a diuretic, so it helps clean out the urinary tract. It also helps fight bacteria, especially in the mouth, so it’s good for oral health. If you’ve never had it before, it’s a spice that yields quite a pungent flavour (add too much and you’ll know!), that is kind of minty and that leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. But pair it with vanilla and cinnamon and the balance is perfect. You can add it into baking, smoothies, curries and spicy dishes. Or you can use it in energy bars and apple pie. You know what I prefer!
Vanilla Cardamom Energy Bars
Better than store bought energy bars and still loaded with flavour, these offer protein, carbs and healthy fats all in one go!
- 2 cups dates
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bourbon vanilla
- 1 tbsp water
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and puree until smooth and all the ingredients form into a large clump. If it isn’t sticking together add an extra tablespoon of water and continue blending until it does.
- Once blended together in a clump, place between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to about 1.5 cm thick, roughly into a 9×9 square. Remove the top layer of parchment paper and place in a 9×9 square pan and use your hands to remold it out to the sides if necessary.
- Place in the fridge for 3-4 hours or until firm.
- Slice into squares or rectangles and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for a few weeks.
If you’ve used it before, what’s your favourite way to use cardamom? See you on Friday!