Granola is kind of like brownies: you can never have too many recipes and it’s fun to experiment with different flavour combinations and use different ingredients. You never know what you might come up with, and you may just find a recipe better than your last. And just like brownies, there’s failures with the successes, where some of the granola gets too burnt because I get distracted editing photos, and some of it doesn’t stick together well, and you might as well eat plain oats with millet by the spoonful. Bird seed my brother would say. You’re eating bird seed.
But when you come up with a new recipe idea and it tastes delicious and the granola sticks together so well, it practically forms clusters, this is a recipe worth keeping. I’m a fan of clustery granola, not the looser, less sticky kinds. Less satisfying to reach in the jar and grab a few oats than to grab a big cluster all stuck together! The issue is getting it to bind together, cook together and then stay together afterwards. In the past I have used a combination of natural sweeteners and coconut oil, but this time I wanted to create an oil free version that was minimal on the sugar. The outcome was a success.
Combining the health benefits of buckwheat groats, oats and millet, with the flavours of apple, cinnamon and cardamom, this granola delivers a whole pile of goodness in each little cluster. Millet is a gluten free grain that is a source of protein and magnesium and that acts as a complex carbohydrate in the body. Buckwheat groats, also gluten free and a source of magnesium, is a source of manganese (needed for good joint health), and combines well with the oats, a source of fiber. When you use certified gluten free oats, this granola is vegan, gluten free, free of refined sugar and has no oil. Oh, and it tastes delicious. Sounds like the perfect Wednesday project. Enjoy!
Apple Cardamom Granola
Healthy, gluten free granola that is oil free and made with no refined sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/3 cup millet
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add the oats, buckwheat, millet, cinnamon, hemp hearts, and cardamom to a medium size bowl and stir together.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Add applesauce mixture to oat mixture and use your hands to mix it, watching for it to start to clump together. When clumps form, and everything is sticking together well, pour onto a baking tray and flatten out to cover the whole tray.
- Bake in the oven, preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, and then remove from the oven and flip the granola. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until it is golden all over.
- Place the tray on a cooling rack and leave to completely cool before handling.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight jar.
What is your favourite flavour of granola, and what’s your favourite way to use it?