I’m a pretty big fan of winter. I love the snow and the seasonal fluctuation, the crisp, cold air and getting all bundled up in warm wool sweaters, scarves and down filled jackets. I love that it means fireplaces and lots of tea, warm wool socks and extra blankets. And I love that winter brings clementines. Here on the east coast, the clementines show up just a bit before December, and stay almost the whole winter through. When I was younger it’s how I knew Christmas was almost here, and now, it’s kind of like the special treat to get you through all the shorter days, darker mornings and snowy nights.
And it’s also the perfect flavour to pair with cardamom and use in doughnuts. Because despite the fact that you just finished your holidays and may be thinking you need to lay off the treats for little while, these doughnuts are still totally something you can enjoy. Healthy and doughnut can go together. That’s because these ones are baked and use only wholegrain and gluten-free flours. They are sweetened with just a little bit of maple syrup – no refined sugar – and get their orange flavour from the rind and freshly squeezed juice of a few little clementines. No added sugar there either!
But mostly they’re perfect, because they’re hearty homemade doughnuts you can make this week in the quiet of your house, in the calm after the holiday chaos. You don’t have to make enough for your whole family, or justify to anyone how good they are despite the fact that they are vegan and gluten-free. You don’t have to explain what cardamom is or how you can have doughnuts that are baked, not fried, and you can just fill your whole house with the lovely smells of orange and cardamom and then have a doughnut to show for it. And doughnuts as the outcome of anything make it a pretty great deal.
Orange Cardamom Doughnuts
Healthy vegan doughnuts that have just the perfect balance of cardamom and orange.
- 1 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1 cup Sourghum Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp freshly ground cardamom
- 4 tbsp vanilla protein powder (I used Vega protein and greens)
- 1 tbsp orange rind
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- In a medium bowl, combine brown rice flour, sourghum flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla protein and orange rind. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add melted coconut oil, orange juice, maple syrup, vanilla and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until no lumps are left. Spoon into a doughnut pan, and bake in the oven, preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-11 minutes, or until doughnuts are golden and the edges pull away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-6 minutes before removing from the pan and leaving them to cool on the rack.
- Enjoy plain or dipped in chocolate and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.